Redistricting Reform–Everything You Need to Know
YouTube is a treasure trove of information, here are videos worth watching to understand redistricting.
Gerrymandering by Green Film Company
2020 Redistricting Cycle by Ballotpedia
Debbie Asberry, who serves as State Advocate for the League of Women Voters of Indiana, explains the League’s position on SB326 in a letter to Sen. Walker and members of the Senate Election Committee.
Time to Take Action
In 2014, 44 out of 100 candidates for the Indiana House and 10 out of 25 candidates for the Indiana Senate had no opponents. Why? Because the legislature draws the district maps creating an unfair advantage for the majority party. The result is no competition and dismal voter turnout which continued in 2016 and 2018. For example, the Indiana House district map shown below (more maps can be found here at the Allen County Election Board).
It’s time for voters to choose their legislators, rather than legislators choosing their voters.
Here are a few ways you can help with the effort to eliminate gerrymandering;
- Join the email alert network at Common Cause.
- Invite LWVFW representatives to speak to an organization of which you are a member.
- Host a house party with our help.
- Write letters and call your legislators.
- Fill out the End Gerrymandering Pledge and ask your legislators to do the same. Access the pledge here
For more information on how you can help contact us.